The following speakers represent staff of International Ministries, national staff of ministries supported by Canadian Ministries, and participants in mission trips and international mission conferences. All of these people are prepared to speak to congregations and groups across Canada about the ministries supported through Presbyterians Sharing, the national fund of The Presbyterian Church in Canada.
Participants are available to speak within a reasonable driving distance in their region. Speaking tours to other regions may be arranged on a case-by-case basis.
For more information on how you can book one of the following speakers, email Lily Ko or call 1-800-619-7301 ext. 254.
Paul Clarke – Executive Director, Action Refugies Montreal, QC
Since February 2013 Paul Clarke has been the Executive Director of Action Réfugiés Montréal. Action Réfugiés Montréal is a voice for refugees in Montréal and beyond that seeks justice for asylum-seekers and refugees. Through Detention, Sponsorship and Twinning programs ARM provides hope and assistance while raising awareness of refugee rights. Mr. Clarke speaks with church and business groups, non-for-profits, francophones, and others interested in refugee issues.
Rev. Margaret Mullin – Director, Winnipeg Inner City Missions
Margaret Mullin is the Executive Director of Winnipeg Inner City Missions, which is supported through Presbyterians Sharing. She has been working in the inner city for eight years and has received a Woman of Distinction award for her work in inner city Winnipeg. Margaret is an ordained minister of The Presbyterian Church in Canada as well as a trained nurse. Ojibway and Irish/Scottish in origin, she follows both Christian and Aboriginal Traditional Spiritual ways.
Short-Term Mission Experiences
AMITY Foundation Summer English Program in China
The Amity Summer English Program (SEP) helps Chinese Middle School teachers from small cities and rural areas improve their English. Canadian volunteers teach a four-week intensive English course as they experience and learn about life in China.
Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI)
EAPPI is an international ecumenical initiative under the leadership of the World Council of Churches (WCC). The Ecumenical Accompaniers (EA) spend three-months in a Palestinian village, providing international presence and being witnesses of the difficulties of life under occupation. EAs from all age groups aim to offer a protective presence to vulnerable communities, monitoring and reporting human rights abuses. They join Palestinians and Israelis who work in nonviolent ways for peace, and they interact with a variety of international, Israeli and Palestinian partners. EAPPI is supported by The Presbyterian Church in Canada through International Ministries and is funded by Presbyterians Sharing.
Please contact Lily Ko (1-800-619-7301 ext. 254) to find a speaker near you.
Mission Speaker Invitation Guidelines
- To raise awareness of how our church carries out the work of God’s mission in Canada and around the world.
- To strengthen the bond between Canadian Presbyterians and our church partners.
- To experience the power of Christ’s love as exemplified in the lives of our church partners, and to learn from their stories.
- To deepen the understanding of mission so that people will become engaged in mission — locally, in Canada and internationally.
- To help people understand how their prayers and financial support of Presbyterians Sharing and PWS&D further the mission work of our church.
- The suggested minimum donation for having a speaker visit your congregation is $150.
- The costs of travel, food, lodgings and administration for speakers are incurred by the Education for Mission and Stewardship department of The Presbyterian Church in Canada.
- Any monetary contributions can be directed to “The Presbyterian Church in Canada” and marked to the attention of Lily Ko.
- Read up on the speakers list to find out who is currently available.
- Consult with others in the congregation about the projects and partnerships they are interested in hearing more about.
- Consult with session and with the minister about an appropriate date and time of year to have a guest speaker.
- Contact Lily Ko in International Ministries (1-800-619-7301 ext. 254) to request a particular speaker.
- When the speaker is confirmed, announce the date and topic in your congregation.
- Begin to advertise; bulletin inserts, announcements to the congregation, postings on common bulletin boards etc.