In 1981, through the inspirational foresight and benevolence of two generous donors, Evelyn and George J. Van Beek (1919-2011), the Experimental Fund of The Presbyterian Church in Canada was established. Mr. and Mrs. Van Beek were residents of Glengarry County and Mr. Van Beek served as an Elder and as Clerk of Session of St. John’s Presbyterian Church, Cornwall, Ontario. Mrs. Van Beek died in February, 2001, and Mr. Van Beek died January 2011.
The Avondbloem Experimental Fund makes grants available to individuals or groups within The Presbyterian Church in Canada to support experimental projects which will help to spread the message of Jesus Christ and further the Kingdom of God.
The fund is administered by the Life and Mission Agency (Canadian Ministries). The Canadian Ministries Grants Committee has the right to grant or refuse requests based on:
1. Terms of the fund
2. Priorities of the Life and Mission Agency
3. Availability of funds
4. Discernment of the committee
Conditions of Disbursement
Projects are to be innovative, experimental and practical in nature. Projects will involve special work, innovative ministry initiatives, investigation, study, or training. It is understood that projects funded by the Avondbloem Experimental Fund will contribute to the denomination’s understanding and experience of ministry and/or mission and that results will be made available to the Church.
- In order for applications to be considered, they must be received by April 15. If there are funds remaining after the first review, additional applications will be considered if received by October 15.
- New! A grant from the fund will not exceed $8,000.
- Costs associated with project staffing will be considered for funding.
- In most cases the maximum length of funding will be two years, with a preference for projects that can be completed within a one-year period.
- Preference will be given to first-time applicants.
- A grant can be terminated because of an unreasonable extension of the time, or because of failure to implement the project as submitted in the application.
Distribution of Funds
Once approved, 80% of the grant amount will be disbursed upon notice from the applicant that the project is ready to begin. The remaining 20% of the grant amount will be disbursed upon receipt of the final report.
Expectations after Receiving a Grant
A final report including a summary of the project, key insights, outcomes and photographs will be submitted to Canadian Ministries within four weeks after the project has been completed. This enables your story to be shared with the denomination. A template for the report will be provided by Canadian Ministries, or can be completed as an online form here:
Applicants must add the following acknowledgement to any literature that describes the project that received funding: “Supported in part by a bequest to The Presbyterian Church in Canada.”
Questions about the Fund
If you have a question about making an application to the fund, please email Jen Astop in Canadian Ministries or call +1 (800) 619-7301 or +1 (416) 441-1111 ext. 298.
Continue Contributions to the Fund
Donors who wish to contribute to the Avondbloem Experimental Fund may email Karen Plater in Planned Giving or Jen de Combe in Canadian Ministries, or call +1 (800) 619-7301 or +1 (416) 441-1111 ext. 290.
Getting Started With Your Grant Application
When you are ready to apply, click on the link below. You will be asked to fill out a form with you name and email. This will send you an email with a link to launch the main form. This process allows you to save and continue the form at a later date, as needed. Check your junk mail if you don’t see the email in your inbox.
All congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Canada are eligible to apply, as well as non-congregational ministries that are identified as outreach missions of the PCC.
This fund provides grants to individuals or groups within the PCC, or to projects recommended by them, to support experimental projects which will help to spread the message of Jesus Christ and further the Kingdom of God.
Your congregation or ministry can apply for funding up to a maximum of $8,000.
When writing your grant application, be sure to include important information about how your program/project will serve a need in your church or community, the objective(s) that you are hoping to accomplish, and the resulting impact. You are welcome to attach a supplementary profile or ministry plan that explains the program or project in greater detail.
This will send you an email with a link to launch the main form. This process allows you to save and continue the form at a later date, as needed. Check your junk mail if you don’t see the email in your inbox.
If you still have questions, emailJen Astop, Grant Program Coordinator, or call 1-800-619-7301 ext. 298.