This Christmas, congregations are encouraged to participate in our Giving Tree project.
Advent is a time to celebrate God’s great gift of love by sharing our gifts with others. Through generous gifts from congregations, the PCC supports vital mission and ministry in Canada and around the world. This year, your ornaments on your Christmas tree has the power to make a difference in the life of someone in Canada or around the world.
Every gift is a gift of hope. Every gift changes lives.
How it works
- Put a tree (large or small) in your sanctuary, fellowship hall, or at the back of the church—whatever works for your congregation. If you already have a mission tree (e.g., a mitten tree) you could combine the two projects on one tree.
- Place two baskets on a table by the tree—one with blank ornaments and one with Gifts of Change catalogues. There are three types of ornaments: Gifts of Change, Presbyterians Sharing and Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D).
Putting ornaments on the tree is a tangible way to celebrate the collective gifts your congregation is sharing at Christmas. Encourage your congregation to fill the tree with gifts.
- Encourage people to make a special gift this Christmas, over and above what they already give. They can make a special gift to Presbyterians Sharing, PWS&D or look through the catalogue and choose a Gifts of Change project.
- For Gifts of Change ornaments, write the name of the project or project number and the amount of the gift on the back.
- For Presbyterians Sharing and PWS&D ornaments, write the amount on the back.
- Place the ornament on the tree or on the offering plate (offering ornaments can be placed on the tree during a time that works for your congregation: e.g., children’s time or the following week’s offering).
- Participants can give through the congregation with their designations clearly marked, or, if your congregation doesn’t want to track additional designated gifts, they can make a donation online, mail a cheque to the national office or place a cheque in the offering plate made out to The Presbyterian Church in Canada and specifying the project number or designation in the memo line (which will then be passed on to the national office). Decide what works best for your congregation.
At the end of Advent, add up the total amount on the ornaments and report back to the congregation to celebrate the change your congregation has helped make possible.
Ornaments (Ornaments bundled in packs of 32. Suggested quantity: 1 pack per 50 people)
Order all the Giving Tree resources now by clicking below or calling 1-800-619-7301.
Questions? Contact us today by email or call 1-800-619-7301 ext. 240.