This Advent, Create a Giving Tree
Advent is a time to celebrate God’s great gift of love by sharing gifts with others.
This Advent, begin or continue a Giving Tree tradition. By hanging ornaments on a giving tree you can celebrate the gifts your congregation is sharing at Christmas in a very real way. People who aren’t attending worship in person can participate from home. Be creative and do what works for your congregation!
It’s easy to give
There are three different types of ornaments: Gifts of Change, Presbyterians Sharing and PWS&D. Congregants can choose an ornament according to the gift they want to give.
- Gifts can be made via the offering plate with designations clearly marked. Receipts are issued by the congregation and the funds are submitted to the national office with the regular congregational remittances.
- Gifts can be given online through your congregation’s website, at presbyterian.ca/donate OR via a customized online giving page set up for your congregation. Contact Maggie Leung to help set up your page. You will be given a special URL link that can be shared with donors. An email can be sent to a designated contact at your congregation every time a gift has been made.
- Cheques can be mailed to the national office with the Giving Tree and congregation’s name clearly marked. Receipts will be issued by the PCC.
Note: If your congregation doesn’t want to collect the funds and issue the receipts, invite participants to give online or mail cheques to the national office. Any gifts given directly to the national office will appear on your congregation’s year-end remittance report and the congregation will be emailed tallies before Christmas.
Gather the materials
- Order your ornament sets, bulletin inserts and Gifts of Change catalogues, and download electronic versions for your website or church e-news.
Set up your tree
- Place the tree in your sanctuary or fellowship hall. If you already have a mission tree (e.g., mitten tree), combine the two projects
- Place three baskets by the tree, one for blank ornaments, one for Gifts of Change catalogues and one for ribbons.
- Announce the project in your bulletins, church newsletters, emails and during the service, inviting people to give. Ornaments can be placed on the offering plate during worship or printed at home and hung on a congregant’s tree. If the last option is used, invite people to send photos of themselves hanging the ornaments on their tree.
- At the end of Advent, add up the total amount on the ornaments and celebrate your congregation’s generosity. Be sure to include the amounts sent into the national office. Request your update from Maggie .
Share your ideas
Be creative and have fun working together to give gifts that will change lives.
Giving Tree Bulletin Insert (Inserts bundled in packs of 25.)
View | Download
Ornaments (Ornaments bundled in packs of 32. Suggested quantity: 1 pack per 50 people)
Gifts of Change Catalogue (Ordered individually. Suggested quantity: 10 copies per 10 people)
View | Download
Giving Tree Tally and Remittance Forms for Treasurers This remittance form has been adapted to help treasurers submit Giving Tree gifts. Use this excel sheet to tally Giving Tree donations and remit your Giving Tree totals with your regular PCC remittances.
Order all the Giving Tree resources now by clicking below or calling 1-800-619-7301.
Questions? Contact us today by email or call 1-800-619-7301 ext. 240.