This Christmas, participate in our Giving Tree project.
Advent is a time to celebrate God’s great gift of love by sharing our gifts with others.
Through a Giving Tree, the ornaments on your Christmas tree have the power to make a difference in the life of someone in Canada or around the world.
While Christmas might look different this year in light of COVID-19, the PCC encourages you to begin or continue a Giving Tree tradition. Encourage people not attending worship in person to participate from home!
Every gift is a gift of hope. Every gift changes lives.
How it works
- Put a tree (large or small) in your sanctuary, fellowship hall, or at the back of the church—whatever works for your congregation. If you already have a mission tree (e.g., a mitten tree) you could combine the two projects on one tree.
- Place two baskets on a table by the tree—one with blank ornaments and one with Gifts of Change catalogues. There are three types of ornaments: Gifts of Change, Presbyterians Sharing and Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D).
- Adapt the material for people who are worshipping from home by mailing or emailing ornaments to each household and creating a virtual giving tree. Ask members to send photos of themselves hanging the ornaments on their trees and share these photos during online worship. Be creative and do what works for your congregation!
Putting ornaments on the tree is a tangible way to celebrate the collective gifts your congregation is sharing at Christmas. Encourage your congregation to fill the tree with gifts.
- Encourage people to make a special gift this Christmas, over and above what they already give. They can make a special gift to Presbyterians Sharing, PWS&D or look through the catalogue and choose a Gifts of Change project.
- For Gifts of Change ornaments, write the name of the project or project number and the amount of the gift on the back.
- For Presbyterians Sharing and PWS&D ornaments, write the amount on the back.
- Place the ornament on the tree or on the offering plate (offering ornaments can be placed on the tree during a time that works for your congregation: e.g., children’s time or the following week’s offering).
- Participants can give through the congregation with their designations clearly marked, or they can make a donation online or send cheque to The Presbyterian Church in Canada with the project number or designation in the memo line. They then fill out the ornament to reflect their donation. Decide what works best for your congregation.
At the end of Advent, add up the total amount on the ornaments and report back to the congregation to celebrate the change your congregation has helped make possible.
Giving Tree Bulletin Insert (Inserts bundled in packs of 25.)
View | Download
Ornaments (Ornaments bundled in packs of 32. Suggested quantity: 1 pack per 50 people)
Gifts of Change Catalogue (Ordered individually. Suggested quantity: 10 copies per 10 people)
View | Download
Order all the Giving Tree resources now by clicking below or calling 1-800-619-7301.
Questions? Contact us today by email or call 1-800-619-7301 ext. 240.