Update: Changes to Your Dental Coverage – January 1, 2022
Sun Life regularly reviews their dental plans. Based on a recent review, there’ll be a change to scaling and root planing coverage.
Scaling and root planing remove plaque and tartar above and below your gum line. It’s a common procedure that can prevent future dental problems. A dentist or dental hygienist likely does this during regular dental checkups.
How your coverage is changing
As of January 1, 2022, the combined maximum for scaling and root planing per benefit year, will be:
• 10 units for you,
• 10 units for each dependent 13 and over, and
• 4 units for each child 12 and under.
One (1) unit is equal to 15 minutes of treatment. Claims data shows that 95% of claims for scaling and root planing are below 10 units per benefit year. For children, scaling isn’t needed to the same extent as adults. Flossing, for example, is a simpler treatment. That’s why the limit for children under age 13 is lower.
How this change will affect you
This change will only affect you if your dentist is currently charging you or your dependents, per benefit year:
• more than 10 units combined for scaling and root planing (for those 13 and over)
• more than 4 units combined for scaling and root planing (for those 12 and under)
If your dentist is currently charging you less than these limits, this change will have no effect on you.
Understanding your claims
Your claim statement will include an explanation of how your claim was processed . You can refer to this statement for more details on our payment decisions.
Contact Sun Life by:
• Phone at 1-800-361-6212, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET,
• live chat on mysunlife.ca, or
• sending a message by signing into mysunlife.ca.
You can also reach the Pension and Benefits Office by:
• Phone at 1-800-619-7301 ext 233, or
• email at pension [at] presbyterian [dot] ca