Part-Time (4 days/week), Fixed Term Agreement (7.5 months)
Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D) is the development, relief and refugee sponsorship agency of The Presbyterian Church in Canada (PCC). PWS&D responds with partners overseas and Canadians here at home to help communities overcome poverty, recover from emergency situations and provide new futures for vulnerable people. PWS&D works with churches and local organizations seeking to transform their communities by promoting justice, peace and the integrity of creation through programs in the areas of food security, sustainable livelihoods, health, peace, human rights and refugee sponsorship.
As the Public Engagement Assistant, you will help to grow the PWS&D Champions network, raise awareness about PWS&D programs and improve donor stewardship efforts. Join a team who encourage one another and are inspired by the opportunity to equip members of The Presbyterian Church in Canada to protect the vulnerable, welcome the stranger and affirm the dignity of all.
Reporting to the Director of PWS&D and working in close collaboration with the Communications team, you will:
- Assist the communications team to increase engagement with the Presbyterian constituency:
- Contact Presbyterian congregations to encourage participation in the Champions network, a network of volunteers from across Canada who promote PWS&D’s work and encourage others to get involved.
- Assist with development of educational and promotional material (including social, website, print and digital content).
- Provide support to PWS&D’s fundraising and donor stewardship initiatives.
- Promote PWS&D’s educational, promotional and fundraising events and campaigns.
- Post-secondary education.
- Relevant experience in communications for not-for-profit and international development.
- Ability for creative, engaging and meaningful communication with individuals and groups.
- Ability to multi-task and demonstrated organizational skills.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office and ability to use new technologies.
- Work is done from the national office of The Presbyterian Church in Canada in Toronto.
- You must have a clean Criminal Records Check – Vulnerable Sector
Qualities needed to be effective in The Presbyterian Church in Canada
- Knowledge of and respect for the beliefs, structure, programs and polity of The Presbyterian Church in Canada and able to speak knowledgeably and passionately about its mission and ministry.
- Able to interact with all members of the community of The Presbyterian Church in Canada cheerfully, enthusiastically, courteously, patiently and with discretion.
Please see below for complete position description.
Public Engagement Assistant - Job Description.pdf
What We Offer:
The Presbyterian Church in Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make a positive impact on people and communities in Canada and around the world. We are committed to fostering a culture that is inspiring, caring and inclusive.
This Fixed Term Agreement is part-time (4 days/week) for 7.5 months.
Salary figure available upon request.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter with the title “Public Engagement Assistant” in the subject line to Colleen McCue, Senior Administrator (cmccue [at] presbyterian [dot] ca).
This posting will remain active until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 24, 2019.
The Presbyterian Church in Canada is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We have an Accommodation Policy and accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their needs known to us.