Synod of Saskatchewan
- Youth Work
- Promotes the Church’s ministry by providing support and encouragement to its youth, youth directors, youth committees, Saskatchewan Presbyterian Youth (SPY), ministers and congregations. The youth coordinator will connect with other youth ministries of the Synod and the denomination.
- Develops and encourages ministry for pre-teen to young adults (10-30 years)
- Encourages the establishment of Presbytery youth ministry committees and serves as a resource to them
- Communicates regularly and efficiently with Presbytery, Synod and National youth ministries regarding events, training opportunities and resources
- Researches the best youth ministry resources available, offering evaluations and recommendations as appropriate.
- Promotes, facilitates and coordinates SPY meetings and events as well as other area-wide events as much as is possible
- Promotes the Synod camp, Camp Christopher, to churches, groups and individuals
- Promotes and coordinates the Synod’s involvement in Canada Youth
- Respond to specific requests for help, training and resources
- Vacation Bible School
- Promotes, Coordinates and Leads an annual Vacation Bible School program throughout the Synod. Evaluates the program and makes recommendations.
- Supervises the summer student(s) including orientation, coaching, evaluation, verifying work records and expense claims.
- Completes grant applications including relevant follow up reporting.
- Leading with Care (LWC)
- Works with congregations to assist them to meet the requirements of the Leading with Care policy
- Attends the annual meeting of the Synod and reports to the Synod on the work accomplished throughout the year.
- Provides a progress report to each meeting of the Synod Executive. Attends Synod Executive meetings as necessary.
- Works effectively with the two Presbyteries of the Synod, attends up to 2 Presbytery meetings in each presbytery per year and/or link by phone when practical
- Submits work records and expense receipts monthly
- Other duties/projects that may be assigned from time to time.
The rate of pay shall be $250 per day for a part-time position consisting of a maximum of 112 days within the calendar year.
- Is a mature and vibrant Christian with beliefs and actions consistent with The Presbyterian Church in Canada
- Exhibits evidence of having good rapport with youth (preteen to young adults ages 10-30 years) and is able to work collegially
- Is experienced in the field of youth ministry.
- Is self-motivated, disciplined and able to take the initiative to fulfill the requirements of this position
- Possesses organizational abilities, management skills and is willing to travel throughout the Synod
- Has completed post-secondary education with training in one or more of the following areas: youth work, theology, leadership development or Christian education programming.
- Respects the polity and theology of the Presbyterian Church in Canada
- Is accountable and reports to the Synod Executive and to the Presbyteries through their Clerks.
- Direct oversight provided by the Synod Personnel Committee. Meets monthly with the Convener of the Personnel Committee.
- Must be familiar with and abide by the denomination’s ‘Leading with Care’ and ‘Sexual Abuse and Harassment’ policies
- Must submit a current ‘Criminal Record’ check
- Is an independent contractor and not an employee of the Synod of Saskatchewan.
Send Cover letter and resume to:
The Personnel Committee of the Synod of Saskatchewan
Attention: Fran Neuls
Or by email to fgneuls [at] imagewireless [dot] ca
Posted November 27, 2019
Posting Closes: January 6, 2020
Note: Preference shall be given to applicants that are willing to perform all duties of the position, but consideration may be given to dividing the job into two positions: Vacation Bible School and Youth Work (including LWC)