Website Richmond Presbyterian Church
Richmond Presbyterian Church
“Deep with God, Wide with the World”
Music Director/Worship Leader
(Permanent Part Time Position)
Richmond Presbyterian Church (RPC) is a vital, growing, multicultural community of God’s people located in a busy, vibrant city. Our worship brings the many diverse, eclectic parts of our community together, united in praise of our God. Currently, our worship service is a balanced blend of both contemporary and traditional music, drawing from the classic hymns of faith as well as the most modern expressions of praise. Our congregation is intergenerational, ranging from the very young to the very experienced and includes those who are new to faith as well as those who have a life-long history within the church.
Worship is at the heart of what it means to be a Christian community. At RPC worship is central to our mission to be a church community that will go “Deep with God” and also “Wide with the World.” RPC has been blessed with a gifted Music Director/Organist/Choir Director who, after more than 25 years of faithful service, has decided to retire from the position. RPC is seeking a candidate for the position of Music Director who would be able to incorporate both the traditional and contemporary aspects of worship into the praise of our God.
The Music Director would work closely with the Lead Minister in preparing the praise aspect of worship for all services at RPC and will be accountable to the Session (the governing body) through the Worship Committee of Session. The position is a permanent part time position of approximately 15 hours per week.
- Primary responsibility for all music pertaining to the worship of the congregation, on Sundays and otherwise.
- Knowledge of reformed hymnody as well as current Christian worship music is necessary.
- Working with a volunteer choir as well as a praise band will be part of the Music Director’s responsibility.
- Choral music leadership experience, including conducting, is an asset.
- The ability to oversee and encourage a volunteer team around the music ministry is essential for this position.
- Depending on the candidate, there may be collaboration with a separate Contemporary Worship Leader.
DESIRED SKILLS /GIFTS
- A mature growing disciple of Jesus Christ with a servant’s heart.
- Demonstrated experience in leading/contributing to congregational worship.
- Flexible and adaptable, organized and able to work to a deadline.
- Availability for Sunday mornings on a regular basis, and midweek as required.
- Ability to work with limited direction, utilizing sound judgment and initiative.
- Competency on the piano is a requirement, with ability on additional instruments being an asset.
- Experience on the pipe organ, or willingness to learn, is desirable.
- Support the larger ministry of RPC, its mission/vision statement, core values and ministry goals. These goals could include identifying, developing and inspiring worship ministry participants of all ages, including children and youth, through nurturing, guiding and teaching musical and vocal skills within the team, interested members the congregation and the wider community.
In accordance with The Presbyterian Church in Canada’s “Leading with Care” policy,
a police records check will be required.
A more detailed job description is available to interested candidates.