Website St. Andrew’s Hall
Position Title: Dean (for Presbyterian Students and St Andrew’s Hall Programs)
Preamble: Located in Vancouver on Canada’s Pacific Coast, St Andrew’s Hall (SAH) is seeking a new Dean to provide dynamic leadership to advance and expand SAH’s mission to form quality leaders to serve a church that serves the world in Christ’s name. SAH’s vision is:
to be an influential theological college of The Presbyterian Church in Canada (PCC) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) educating people from around the world for Christian leadership; and providing quality accommodation, hospitable community and compassionate campus ministry.
SAH’s present scope of programming includes the exercise of its teaching charter (through and with Vancouver School of Theology), together with the operation of a 93 unit student residence on the UBC campus, campus chaplaincy, and the delivery of related educational programs for church leaders.
The ideal candidate will be a recognized leader within the Canadian church possessing well-developed ideas of the role of the church and its leaders in a post-Christendom world. Comfortable as a high-profile ambassador and spokesperson for SAH, he/she will possess a passion for recruiting, teaching, and mentoring students and church leaders, and for articulating the vision and mission of SAH to the broader church. The ideal candidate will be open to experimentation, and comfortable evolving, building and developing the strategic direction of the SAH Board of Management (Board), with a proven ability to implement actions that advance the SAH strategic plan.
Purpose of the Position: The Dean is the head of SAH, and provides executive leadership to fulfill the vision, mission, and strategic plan of SAH.
Accountability: The Dean is appointed by the General Assembly of PCC, and reports to the Board.
Type of Position: Full-time, salaried position comprised of two parts: leadership of SAH, and faculty responsibilities in the Vancouver School of Theology (VST).
Duties and Responsibilities
As Head of SAH, the Dean is ultimately responsible for every aspect of SAH’s internal operations and external relationships. The Dean is assisted in fulfilling the duties of the position by staff and colleagues, and by the Board.
The Dean is expected to focus his/her personal efforts in the following areas:
- Provide strategic visionary leadership for SAH in close cooperation with the Board.
- Represent SAH in the courts of the Church, with educational and funding partners, and with the general public.
- Carry out a ministry of preaching, speaking, and writing within PCC and beyond to promote the vision and mission of SAH.
- Develop a strategy and implement a program for student recruitment.
- Develop a strategy and implement a program for fundraising and donor development.
- Teach and participate in academic administration as defined by a Secondment Agreement and the Faculty Handbook of VST.
- Provide pastoral care and leadership to theology students, with particular attention to those preparing for ministry in PCC.
- Develop educational opportunities and programs to address the needs of lay and ordained leaders of PCC.
- Extend the reach and influence of SAH through engagements with other theological schools in Canada and around the world.
- Direct the operations of SAH within the authority and limits defined by policies, budgets, and priorities established by the Board.
- Develop a cohesive staff team, and delegate authority and responsibility to them as needed to ensure effective operational management of SAH and the student residence.
- Respond to emergent issues in concert with staff, faculty colleagues, and members of the Board.
- Engage in writing and publishing to project a theological voice on issues of importance to the church and to Christian witness in our culture.
- Engage in research in incumbent’s academic discipline, and stay current with issues and scholarly conversations that are relevant to the mission and vision of SAH.
- Participate in a learned society appropriate to incumbent’s area of expertise, or other professional conferences that pertain to incumbent’s discipline or the needs of SAH.
The Dean has a pastoral heart and a vibrant Christian testimony seeking to be a faithful follower of Jesus Christ.
The Dean is educated within the Reformed theological tradition and is an ordained Minister of PCC, or is willing and eligible to become one.
The Dean displays professional attributes of visionary leadership, being creative, entrepreneurial, nimble and flexible to opportunities, and innovative in seeking new ways to equip leaders for a changing Christian landscape.
The Dean is a skillful interpersonal communicator (listening and supporting, speaking and influencing), who engages collaboratively with students, staff, and partners.
The Dean holds advanced degrees in theological and/or pastoral studies (DMin or PhD).
The Dean is willing to live within the greater Vancouver metro area.
Applicants are asked to provide a curriculum vitae together with a cover letter highlighting the applicant’s fit with the position description, and the names, roles, and contact details of three references. References will not be contacted without applicant’s express consent. Applications should be sent electronically in confidence to klee [at] standrews [dot] edu with the subject line “St. Andrew’s College Dean Search.” Closing date for applications is March 30, 2020.