Website Presbyterian Church of St. Columba by-the-Lake
Are you looking to make a difference?
Are you looking to join a progressive team that lets you be you, and supports your leadership to equip children and youth for a life of faith?
St. Columba by-the Lake Presbyterian Church is looking for a dynamic individual to lead their Absolutely Awesome Adventure Centre, with the help of volunteers, and to enable children and youth to feel a part of the St. Columba community. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone who is good with children and youth, and who is looking to explore their faith as part of a larger community.
If you’re even a little interested, read the attached job description and send us your CV before the September 30th deadline. You won’t be sorry.
Start Date: Negotiable
15 hours/week, flexible schedule
Deadline to Apply: September 30, 2018
Purpose: To equip children and youth for a life of faith.
To enable children and youth to feel a part of the St. Columba community.
- Order, adapt or develop curriculum for children and youth programs that help them learn and ask questions about believing and belonging to a community of faith. In so doing, be open to using online/ written resources of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, the Canadian Foodgrains Bank, Pres. World Service & Development, etc.
- Equip children and youth to learn stories of faith, to speak about issues from a faith perspective, and to serve in the world.
- Provide opportunities for learning in the community – visit places of local mission/places of worship.
- Coordinate volunteers to lead activities and programs.
- Organize events for children/youth in the church and community (BBQ, Hallowe’en party, etc).
- Develop opportunities for mentoring and build relationships.
- Provide pastoral care to children and youth as needed.
- Propose new programs to connect with children/youth after consulting with children/youth/ parents.
- Plan with Pastor and staff an “all ages” service 4 times/year.
- Meet with Pastor, Director of Music and Food Ministry Coordinator as needed.
- Collaborate with other youth groups and church staff regarding local retreats, camps and national church events.
Qualities of the Applicant:
- Leader of Christian faith
- Gifted teacher who is sensitive to the needs of children and youth
- Dynamic and creative mentor in faith
- Good communicator and networker
- Social media savvy
- Ability to engage adults in children’s issues
- An understanding of world religions
- Interest in exploring social justice issues with youth
- Embraces diversity
- Flexible and creative
- Team player
- Able to implement ideas
Applicants should be willing to take an online/ short term course on theology, or have taken its equivalent.
Being comfortable in French is considered an asset.
A criminal record check will be required in accordance with the Leading with Care policy of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
Renumeration: $13 000 annually, including vacation.
This is a contract position, with an initial term of one year.
The Presbyterian Church of St. Columba by-the-Lake is a small but dynamic congregation, with a commitment to community, learning, and faith-in-action. We believe in innovative, inclusive, open-minded and creative worship and congregational life, stretching boundaries and fostering a community where every personality and gift is embraced and encouraged. At St. Columba, we know that children and young people experience God’s mysterious presence in their lives in different ways. We accompany them on every step of their journey, offering them the resources, support, and fellowship necessary for them to explore their own path.
We have appreciated the work of paid Christian Educators at St. Columba for many years. The Children and Youth Coordinator will report to the Christian Education committee (who reports to Session, the leading body of our church). We are adapting the position to changing times and ages of our children/youth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and need.
God’s spirit has anointed us and sent us
To proclaim good news to the poor,
To release the prisoners,
To restore sight to the blind,
To free the oppressed,
To announce that
this is the year when God will act. Luke 4:18,19 (Isaiah 61:1,2)
Interested applicants should send CV along with a letter of intent, highlighting their interests and thoughts on Christian Education to: Tom Gardner
by email: office [at] stcolumba [dot] ca
by mail: c/o St Columba by-the-Lake Presbyterian Church
11 Rodney Ave.,
We thank all candidates who submit their CVs for consideration. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.