The Accountant is responsible for managing and ensuring the overall effectiveness of the Financial Services department. The Accountant protects the assets of The Presbyterian Church in Canada (PCC) by establishing and implementing financial policies and procedures, monitoring and enforcing internal controls. The Accountant provides information to regulators and external auditors and is authorized as a signing officer. The Accountant provides strategic guidance to the Chief Financial Officer and committees of the Church.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will:
- Establish control procedures to ensure all financial transactions are processed securely and accurately.
- Responsible for the accurate maintenance of the financial records of the Church, producing balanced financial statements for PCC, Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D), Women’s Mission Society (WMS) and Pension Plan of the PCC.
- Oversee daily cash management.
- Responsible for reconciling GL accounts including, but not limited to, all Accounts Receivable (AR), Accounts Payable (AP) and Payroll accounts.
- Design and ensure implementation of accounting and control procedures for the Consolidated Portfolio (CP) of the PCC
- Participate in the hiring, training, direction, performance evaluation and recognition of staff of Financial Services department.
- Accredited degree from a university.
- 7-10 years of demonstrated experience in the financial services sector.
- Demonstrated excellence in Microsoft Office, and advanced knowledge of software packages including Accpac, Excel, Crystal, Raiser’s Edge
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work collaboratively and establish rapport with people in the church.
- An effective problem solver.
- Work is done from the national office of The Presbyterian Church in Canada in Toronto.
- Criminal Records Check – Vulnerable Sector
Qualities needed to be effective in The Presbyterian Church in Canada
- Ability to work at several projects simultaneously and manage time according to established priorities with a results-oriented mindset.
- Ability to maintain and manage confidential information.
- Knowledge of and respect for the beliefs, structure, programs and polity of The Presbyterian Church in Canada.
What We Offer:
The Presbyterian Church in Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make a positive impact on people and communities in Canada and around the world. We are committed to fostering a culture that is inspiring, caring and inclusive.
In return for your skills and dedication, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and pension and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can truly make a difference.
Salary figure available upon request.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter with the title “Accountant” in the subject line to Oliver Ng, Chief Financial Officer (ong [at] presbyterian [dot] ca)
This posting will remain active until 5 p.m. on December 7, 2020.
The Presbyterian Church in Canada is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We have an Accommodation Policy and accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their needs known to us.
To apply for this job email your details to ONg@presbyterian.ca.