The purpose of the New and Renewed Ministry Fund (Establishing New Ministries Stream) is to assist with the creation of the following types of ministries:
- new congregations (independent/standalone congregation)
- new worshipping communities (café ministries, house churches, sports ministries, third-space ministries, etc.)
- parallel ministries (a ministry initiative reaching a new target population such as newly arrived immigrants, young families, singles, etc., or embracing creative new forms of ministry such as dinner churches, third-space ministries, etc., that is separate but supported by an existing congregation)
In order for applications to be considered, they must be received by April 15. If there are funds remaining after the first review, additional applications will be considered if received by October 15.
The fund is administered by Canadian Ministries of the Life and Mission Agency of the PCC. The right to grant or refuse requests will be at the discretion of Canadian Ministries on the basis of the priorities of the Life and Mission Agency.
A project can be terminated because of an unreasonable extension of the time, or because of failure to implement the project as submitted in the application.
Conditions of Disbursement
- Grants will be dispersed through a tiered granting program contingent on demonstrated results. Tiered granting systems provide grant-receiving miniseries funds to experiment in new directions. The system is designed to support ministries as they grow by providing increased funding based on meeting identified goals and benchmarks.
- Amounts available: seed grant (up to $10,000); growth grant (up to $20,000); yield grant (up to $30,000).
- The ‘seed’ grant (first tier) supports committed leaders with launching an early-stage vision of a new ministry, the ‘growth’ grant (second tier) supports ministries as they work towards stability and sustainability, and the ‘yield’ grant (third tier) supports ministries as they reach maturity.
- First-time applicants much begin with a seed grant and continue towards a yield grant.
- A detailed budget and an endorsement from a governing body (please see more information below) must accompany all applications.
- If an application involves providing capital assistance, a quote must also accompany the application. Please contact Canadian Ministries if you are applying for capital assistance.
Expectations after Receiving a Grant
Grant-receiving ministries are required to:
- Submit a yearly report detailing progress in the areas of identified goals and benchmarks
- Submit an annual Leading with Care report to their presbyteries
- Inform Canadian Ministries of any changes that occur during the year (e.g. leadership, change in call or contract, retirement, programs, etc.)
- Participate in PCC story sharing initiatives (Stories of Mission, Mission Moments, etc.) as requested
Applicants must add to any literature the following acknowledgment: “Supported in part by a bequest from The Presbyterian Church in Canada.”
Continued Contributions to the Fund
Donors who wish to contribute to this fund may email Karen Plater in Stewardship & Planned Giving or Jen de Combe in Canadian Ministries, or call +1 (800) 619-7301 or +1 (416) 441-1111 ext. 298.
Support from Governing Body
All grant applications require the endorsement of a ministry’s government body. Examples of governing bodies and the ministries for which they provide oversight could include:
Presbytery – congregations, local missions, chaplains, etc.
Synod – camp and conference centres, etc.
Contact Canadian Ministries if you are unsure of the governing body to approach.
The following example provides all the necessary elements of an extract of meeting minutes for a complete application; the example can be used to make a motion at a presbytery or synod meeting. If the application is endorsed, the Clerk of Presbytery/Synod will provide the applicant with a copy of the extract to upload to the application.
Example: On motion of J.Calvin/J. Knox, upon review it was agreed that the Presbytery of Caledonia endorse the application and supporting documents from St. Andrew’s, O’Leary, PE to the New and Renewed Ministry Fund in the amount of $10,000 to support the (ministry name) in 2019.