The Canadian Council of Churches Governing Board Meeting
November 25–27, 2020 – Video Conference
The Canadian Council of Churches (the Council) is the broadest and most inclusive ecumenical body in Canada. The Council’s Governing Board brings together representatives from Anglican; Eastern and Roman Catholic; Evangelical; Free Church; Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox; and Protestant member denominations to review and coordinate its Commissions, the Management Committee of Project Ploughshares, Reference Groups and Working Groups, appoint officers, obtain funds, and determine external relations to other religious and secular organizations and movements.
At this semi-annual meeting of the Governing Board, we:
- Shared and prayed for one another and for shared prayer concerns.
- Reviewed and received governance reports from President Stephen Kendall and the Standing Committees of the Governing Board.
- Adopted the 2021 budgets for the Main Office and for Project Ploughshares .
- Received notice of amendment for an updated Constitution and By-Laws with their adoption scheduled for May 2021.
- Adopted an updated Protocol for Public Statements and Public Letters of The Canadian Council of Churches.
- Welcomed the Canadian Baptist Ministries as an Affiliate and announced an Affiliate application from the Women’s Inter-Church Council of Canada.
- Decided to request nominations for three youth members to the Governing Board for the 2021–24 Triennium.
- Reviewed and received program reports from General Secretary Peter Noteboom and the program bodies of The Canadian Council of Churches including Project Ploughshares.
- Adopted a new Governance Protocol for Project Ploughshares.
- Appointed the new Chair of the Management Committee of Project Ploughshares, the Rev. Bruce Adema, and thanked the outgoing Chair, the Rev. Dr. James Christie, for many years of outstanding service.
- Participated in a Bible Study led by Sister Gesine Rohrbach from the Community of Grandchamp in Switzerland on the 2021 Week of Prayer for Christian Unity theme, Abide in my love and you shall bear much fruit (John 15:1–17).
- Examined our understandings of scripture in the context of reviewing the membership application from the Community of Christ.
- Achieved consensus on A Guide for Participation in Public Events Involving More Than One Religious or Spiritual Tradition as a resource of the Council.
- Listened to special guest Bill Rasmus, Head of Chaplaincy for Correctional Service Canada, who shared the challenges and opportunities for prison chaplaincy—in an interfaith setting—for member churches of the Council.
- Explored possible candidates for President, Vice-Presidents, and Youth members for the 2021–24 triennium.
- Agreed to support in principle the United Nations Decade for Peoples of African Descent and to make anti-Black racism and anti-racism efforts a priority in the 2021–24 Triennium.
- Previewed the new main website of The Canadian Council of Churches that will be launched in early 2021.
The next meeting of the Governing Board is scheduled for May 19–21, 2021, on Zoom video conference.
Canadian Council of Churches Governing Board Meeting Highlights & Decisions – Nov. 2020