Remembering Billy Graham

The life of American evangelist the Rev. Billy Graham was celebrated on Friday, March 2, 2018. Billy Graham died on February 21 at 99 years of age. The Rev. Stephen Kendall, Principal Clerk, represented the PCC at the funeral in Charlotte, North Carolina.

“Surely no other evangelist is as well known as Billy Graham. Almost everyone seems to have a ‘Billy Graham story.’ He had a direct impact on 215 million people though his crusades and countless more through television and books. On Friday March 2, his funeral service was held in a ‘canvas cathedral’ near the library and offices bearing his name in Charlotte, North Carolina. The service, attended by 2,300 people, was reminiscent of a crusade and was clearly an opportunity to proclaim the gospel that was so dear to Graham’s heart and which he shared so passionately throughout eight decades of preaching. In the congregation, there was a spirit of thanksgiving, and a sense of honour to be present remembering a person who, for many, has been a towering Christian leader and a man of humility and integrity throughout his ministry. I recall hearing Dr. Graham speak when we took our church youth group to the Sky Dome in Toronto in 1995. His message then was clear and simple: God loves you. And nothing is more important than your relationship with Jesus.”

—The Rev. Stephen Kendall, Principal Clerk
The Presbyterian Church in Canada

Billy Graham, November 7, 1918 – February 21, 2018
2018-03-02T15:21:49+00:00March 2nd, 2018|Categories: News|8 Comments

8 Comments

1. Calvin Brown April 2, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Glad the PCC was represented at Dr Grahams funeral. He was a significant leader in both evangelism and in ecumenical co-operation. The churches I pastored were often involved in Graham’s crusades and training vents.
    Well done good and faithful servant.

2. Timothy Suphal March 12, 2018 at 7:34 am

Thanks for the PCC’s representation at the funeral service for Billy Graham. I first heard Billy Graham at eight years at a crusade in Trinidad about 1954. I was also privileged to hear him at the 1995 crusade in Toronto. I used to listen regularly to his radio broadcasts in Trinidad. He was indeed a great evangelist.

Timothy Suphal, St. John’s Milliken Presbyterian Church, Toronto

3. Nancy Budwin Hancock March 9, 2018 at 5:51 pm

My father returned from the Second World War an alcoholic, probably due to undiagnosed “shell shock” or PTSD. As a child we used to watch the Billy Graham crusades. I remember fervently praying for my daddy to repent and be saved from his drinking. He was always visibly moved by the altar call and “Just as I am” singing. This comforted me. I became a minister of the PCC, partly because I wanted to be a source of hope to people like my dad.

4. Joy Randall March 8, 2018 at 5:54 pm

I also watched part of the service and thankful Stephen was there. I remember rallies both in Toronto and in Taiwan.
    Joy Randall

5. Paula Hamilton March 7, 2018 at 10:14 am

Thank you, Stephen, for posting this. So many people in our congregations came to Christ – or came to a deeper faith – through Billy Graham. This past November, the Charlottetown churches hosted Billy’s grandson, Will Graham, for a Celebration of Hope that was attended by thousands who also heard the clear and simple – and profound – message of God’s love, and the importance of a relationship with Jesus.

6. Auriel June March 6, 2018 at 5:35 pm

God bless Billy Graham and the Presbyterian church congregation always.

with love of Jesus,
    Auriel Sydney, Australia

7. KATHERINE ALLEN March 6, 2018 at 3:51 pm

I watched the service on TV and was remembering attending a couple of Billy Graham Crusades. One was in Collingwood around 1970 I think, my father and I attended and sang in the community choir. He was one of the finest Evangelists I have ever heard. He has uplifted the hearts of many.

8. Kevin Livingston March 3, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Stephen,

Thank you for your presence in Charlotte, representing our church. Billy Graham had a deep and abiding impact on so many of us and I am deeply grateful that you took the time to honour his memory on behalf of the PCC.

Comments are closed.