Inspired by God’s promise of abundant life, Presbyterian World Service & Development envisions a sustainable, compassionate and just world.
PWS&D is the development, relief and refugee sponsorship agency of The Presbyterian Church in Canada with a budget of over $4 million in 2017. PWS&D responds with partners overseas and Canadians here at home to help communities overcome poverty, recover from emergency situations and provide new futures for vulnerable people. PWS&D works with churches and local organizations seeking to transform their communities by addressing the root causes of poverty and injustice, seeking peace and sustainable development through programs in the areas of food security, sustainable livelihoods, health, peace and human rights.
Reporting to the Director of PWS&D, the Senior Program Coordinator is responsible for leading the management of PWS&D’s development and relief programs, providing expertise to the program team with respect to program management, and leadership related to program analysis for thematic and geographic allocations. The Senior Program Coordinator is responsible for leading the coordination, execution and evaluation of government funded programs through Global Affairs Canada (GAC). The Senior Program Coordinator is responsible for conceptualizing and actualizing new government funded proposals to generate and grow revenue streams for PWS&D. The candidate represents the organization at ecumenical forums such as Canadian Foodgrains Bank, ACT Alliance, and others as needed. The candidate will oversee PWS&D’s disaster response initiatives to ensure that immediate relief and longer term rehabilitation is carried out and reported on effectively. The candidate will also have direct project management responsibilities. The Senior Program Coordinator will be an articulate and passionate spokesperson about the work of PWS&D with the constituency, ecumenical community and other stakeholders.
- A graduate degree in international development studies, project management, or a comparable field.
- A minimum of five years of proven experience in a development and relief organization with program management skills, knowledge of results-based management (RBM) tools and supervision and coordination of major development and relief programs.
- Overseas experience in managing development and/or relief programs. Expertise in agriculture and food security programming in developing countries.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and adaptability in various global contexts.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving and program analytics.
- Demonstrated success in preparing proposals and reports for government-funded programs.
- Ability to identify and respond effectively to needs and requests from various stakeholders including colleagues, ecumenical and international partners and the constituency where coordination of efforts is required
- A relationship builder. Excellence in creative, engaging and meaningful communication with individuals and groups, including public speaking.
- Ability to travel internationally, in physically challenging contexts in developing countries.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence and responsibility.
- Advanced computer proficiency including Excel and ability to use such tools creatively to convey information to the Director, the Committee and other stakeholders.
- Well organized, accurate and efficient. Able to coordinate and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and respect for the beliefs, structure, programs and polity of The Presbyterian Church in Canada.
- Ability to interact with all members of the community of The Presbyterian Church in Canada cheerfully, enthusiastically, courteously, patiently and with discretion.
- Demonstrated skills in diplomacy and tact. Ability to represent PWS&D and its interests in a variety of contexts including with the Presbyterian constituency, ecumenical organizations, government and elected officials.
- Fluency in another language, Spanish or French, an asset.
- Legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Clean Criminal Records Check – Vulnerable Sector
Start Date: March 2017 (negotiable)
Salary: Band 5
Please submit your application with the title “Senior Program Coordinator” in the subject line to Guy Smagghe, Director, PWS&D (pwsd [at] presbyterian [dot] ca)
This external posting will remain active until 12 p.m. on Tuesday, February 21, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.