JOB TITLE: Programme Executive for Spiritual Life and Faith and Order
DUTY STATION: Geneva
ROLE: P category
STARTING DATE: 1 October 2018
CONTRACT DURATION: 4 years
POSITION AT (%): 100%
REPORTS TO: Deputy General Secretary for Unity and Mission
WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Internal: The General Secretary, the Deputy General Secretary for Unity and Mission, the Director of Faith and Order and programme staff and designated staff in Communication, PMER, IMD and Finance. External: Member churches, councils and ecumenical organisations, especially those responsible for spirituality and worship.
- To initiate and facilitate reflection and practice on spirituality and common prayer in the WCC fellowship within the present context of new challenges and recent developments in world Christianity.
- To participate in the study programme of the Commission on Faith and Order with its emphasis on theological reflection and dialogue in the service of the churches’ movement towards unity in faith, life and witness.
In the area of spiritual life:
- Coordinate WCC’s work on spirituality and common prayer in an ecumenical context. Be responsible for the budgeting, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of spending levels in the project, in cooperation with the Deputy General Secretary for Unity and Mission and designated finance managers.
- Facilitate sharing of reflections and experiences on the transformative dimensions of Christian faith through spirituality and common prayer among WCC member churches and ecumenical partners and in the wider ecumenical movement.
- Develop and implement forms of ecumenical formation in spirituality and common prayer for key actors in member churches and ecumenical organizations, in closes cooperation with WCC’s Ecumenical Institute at Bossey, especially through its continuing formation programme.
- Be responsible, in close cooperation with staff in communications, for the publication of resources for spirituality and common prayer and work on related issues of intellectual property, e.g. on questions of copyrights on liturgical resources and music, on publishing of non-profit material.
- Work closely together with staff working in other programmatic and relational areas, promoting the spiritual and theological dimensions of ecumenical cooperation.
- Coordinate the preparation and facilitation of the prayers of the WCC governing bodies and major WCC events.
- Coordinate in cooperation with other ecumenical organizations the worship and prayer life in the Ecumenical Centre.
For Faith and Order:
- Coordinate and work closely together with staff in Faith and Order on developing and disseminating material for the “Week of Prayer for Christian Unity”.
- Contribute to studies and activities of Faith and Order as determined in discussions with the Director of Faith and Order.
- Participate in the planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of the Faith and Order team;
- Represent the WCC and specifically Faith and Order, on request of the Director;
- Any other task as requested by the general secretary or associate general secretary through the Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- University degree in Theology preferably in areas related to spirituality and worship (Liturgical studies);
- Experience in study and research, demonstrated in publications, articles and books, in areas relevant for the agenda of Faith and Order;
- Practical experience as a musician, composer and choir leader, preferably in churches;
- Knowledge of and an open attitude towards different Christian liturgical traditions and cultural divers expressions in spirituality and worship;
- Professional engagement in an ecumenical and multicultural environment with experience in related issues;
- Experience in project management, including result oriented planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of projects;
- Good command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of other languages (French, German, and Spanish) is an asset;
- Information technology: Word, Excel, Internet.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 30 April 2018
Full applications (Curriculum vitae, motivation letter, application form, copies of diplomas and recommendation letters) are to be sent to: recruitment [at] wcc-coe [dot] org
The WCC application form is available on the WCC recruitment webpage: http://www.oikoumene.org/en/get-involved/job-openings
ABOUT HUMAN RESOURCES AT THE WCC:
The WCC is an equal opportunity employer. The sole criteria for recruitment, training and career opportunities are qualification, skills, experience and performance to all its staff members.