Website The Raw Carrot Soup Enterprise, Paris Presbyterian Church
Program Manager (Paris Presbyterian Church): Job Description
Position: Program Manager – Part Time: mostly days with some evening and weekend availability – starting Sept 4, 2018
The Raw Carrot Soup Enterprise is a not-for-profit social enterprise that provides meaningful employment for individuals with disAbilities and barriers to traditional employment. We create handcrafted healthy gourmet soup that is sold in farmers markets and retail locations throughout Ontario.
We are currently looking for a highly motivated individual who has a passion for healthy cooking and working with marginalized individuals to join our leadership team in Paris, Ontario.
The Raw Carrot Program Manager is responsible for the successful leadership and management of a Raw Carrot Soup Enterprise extension site (franchise) under the strategic direction of the Raw Carrot HUB and as a ministry/outreach of Paris Presbyterian Church.
The Raw Carrot ~ Paris Program Manager will be an individual who is passionate about making a difference in the lives of individuals on the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) through running an innovative social franchise. The job involves:
- Managing a Work Integration Social Enterprise that requires a balance between meeting the social goals of staff on ODSP AND ensuring that the business is financially viable through the sales of soup
- Managing a kitchen that produces consistent, high quality, gourmet soup with staff on ODSP and volunteers
The Raw Carrot Program Manager reports to the Raw Carrot HUB and to the Paris Presbyterian Church
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Raw Carrot Program Manager will perform some, or all, of the following (in partnership with the Raw Carrot HUB):
- Lead a Raw Carrot Soup Enterprise extension (franchise) site
- Ensure that the operations of the Raw Carrot site are in line with the Raw Carrot social franchise model (prepare, cook, package and sell gourmet soup)
- Support and direct staff and volunteers in the preparation of ingredients, cooking, proper cooling and packaging of all products produced (with adherence to all regional and provincial health and safety standards of a commercial kitchen)
Human resources planning and management
- Recruit, interview and select staff and engage a rotation of dedicated volunteers
Financial planning and management
- Work with The Raw Carrot HUB to prepare and implement yearly budgets and sales targets
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the mission of the Raw Carrot
- Participate in fundraising activities and event coordination, as appropriate
- A University degree is preferred, but not required
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Financial tracking – (Excel)
- 3+ years of management experience OR commensurate life experience.
- Demonstrated evidence of a hard work ethic and ability to be a self-starter
- Solid knowledge of cooking basics and a “feel” for making gourmet soup
The Program Manager should demonstrate competence in some, or all, of the following:
- Lead: Positively influence staff and volunteers to create a welcoming Raw Carrot work environment
- Make Decisions: Able to view the social enterprise as a business that requires a balance between social goals and creating a viable gourmet soup business to pay the staff
- Plan: Determine strategies to achieve financial viability, meet sales goals, create and implement actions plans, and assist in evaluating the process and results.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible in a dynamic work environment with competing priorities and demands
- Build Relationships: Support all staff to work to their full potential within their given roles – including the facilitation and support of skill development and educational opportunities as available
- Able to Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations and to create new opportunities for sales and enterprise awareness
- Focus on Customer Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of customers to meet or exceed their expectations in product quality and sales
- Take Direction: Appreciate that running a Raw Carrot extension site (franchise) requires a dedication to the replication of established Raw Carrot operations and process
- The Raw Carrot Program Manager oversees the Raw Carrot kitchen and corresponding business activities from the church where The Raw Carrot is cooking. Various aspects of sales, marketing, speaking and awareness raising are also required, which take place in outside locations (vendor/craft shows, soup sampling, events, etc…)
- Program Managers are hired as permanent part-time staff (as required by sales and sales targets), but will work some evenings and weekends, to accommodate activities such as meetings, representing the organization at public events, soup sampling and soup sales