Westmount Presbyterian Church in beautiful London Ontario is seeking a creative and enthusiastic individual to co-ordinate the Sunday School and Youth activities for a one year, part time contract.
We offer a weekly Sunday School program, youth group and family activities during the school year and Vacation Bible School for one week in the summer. We are proud of our inter-generational congregation and amazing choir.
This position reports to the Personnel Committee and is accountable to the Minister and the Christian Education Committee. The responsibilities and expectations regarding that position are outlined below.
- to teach Sunday School at the elementary school or high school level
- to oversee the selection of Sunday School curriculum and development of lesson material appropriate to all age groups, with approval of the Christian Education (CE) Committee
- to recruit and co-ordinate the Sunday School volunteers
- to participate in CE Committee meetings and be involved in establishing church school and youth ministry budgets
- to oversee and support special events such as Christmas pageants, Sunday School Worship services, Vacation Bible School (VBS), etc.
- to plan regular programs (and/or training and aiding young people in planning programs) to promote spiritual growth, faith development, and a sense of Christian community
- to plan and implement special events for youth
- to co-ordinate the activities of youth with other church programs
- to promote and communicate, well in advance, youth activities to the youth, their families and to the congregation at large
- to participate, if able, in denominational events such as Canada youth – either as a participant or as an organizer/recruiter/resource person for youth
- to act as a liaison and a co-ordinator with regard to youth group activities within the Presbytery or with neighbouring congregations
- to be aware of, and concerned with, the personal circumstances of the youth (as such information is offered)
- to be available to young people for support and/or mentoring and referral to the minister or others when appropriate
- to report to session on a monthly basis through the Christian Education Committee
- to participate in worship services as required by special events related to youth, or at the request of the minister
- the candidate will benefit from regular consultation with and support from the minister
- to maintain an open dialogue with fellow staff members, volunteers, and the congregation as a whole with regard to Christian Education and youth matters
- to keep the congregation informed about the events related to children and youth through the weekly bulletin, the newsletter, the Annual Report and special event notices.
- to give weekly time sheets to the convenor of the Christian Education Committee and a Personnel Committee representative.
- to be available, in the church, regularly 8 hrs per week and on Sunday mornings
- maintain and update church website
- In order to increase awareness and expertise, the Co-ordinator of Ministry to Children and Youth will keep informed and up-to-date by seeking liaison with youth leaders of other Presbyterian churches and may attend suitable courses, conferences or workshops.
Remuneration / Hours
- Currently $20,000.00 per year
- 20 hours, on average, per week
- WSIB coverage provided
- There will be a 3 month probationary period with a review at that time
- as per policy of Westmount Presbyterian Church: 2 weeks for the first 2 years of employment, 3 weeks for years 3 to 10 and 4 weeks after 10.
- paid study leave of up to 2 weeks per year for ministry-related or theological training, plus costs, including Canada Youth, with prior Personnel Committee approval
- a passion for children, youth and for Christ
- a team player
- up to date First Aid and CPR training (or willingness to obtain)
- a new employment police records check
- has attended (or is willing to attend) a Leading with Care Orientation
- good working knowledge and access to technologies such as email, internet and experience with Micro Soft Office or Apple
- a theological education is an asset
- access to a vehicle is an asset
Please email your resume and cover letter to wstmt [at] execulink [dot] com.
Thank you for your interest.