The Canadian Council of Churches is seeking an individual to fill the role of Acting General Secretary on a full-time basis (35 hrs/wk) for a 9 month term, October 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
- Job Number: 17-CCC
- Opening Date: May 9, 2017
- Closing Date: June 30, 2017
- Anticipated Start Date: October 1, 2017
Acting General Secretary Circle (full-time 9 month term)
The Canadian Council of Churches is the largest ecumenical body in Canada, representing 25 churches of Anglican, Evangelical, Free Church, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox, Protestant, and Eastern Catholic traditions. The Acting General Secretary is the senior executive officer of the Council, including its operating divisions, for the period between the departure of the fifteen-year incumbent and the selection of a permanent appointee.
The Acting General Secretary will be responsible to the Governing Board through the Executive Committee for administering the work of the Council, recommending and implementing policies and programs, and ensuring the effectiveness of the staff teams. They are responsible for maintaining relationships among the member denominations for facilitating common action.
While the Acting General Secretary will be primarily tasked with the day to day good functioning of the Council during this transition period, they will secondarily assist the Council in fulfilling its vision, direction and priorities, in facilitating the work of the Council as a forum of the member denominations.
The main areas of focus for this role are:
- Operations: Together with the Executive Committee, they will implement new oversight and direction objectives and will be responsible for over-all financial management of the Council ensuring adequate financial support is in place for the operation of the Council and its programs. Within available financial resources, they will ensure staff support to the Governing Board and its Executive Committee, to the Commissions and Committees and the Assembly. They are responsible for determining staffing for allocations for the work of the Council. They supervise the staff teams to ensure that the work and programs of the Council, including its operating divisions, are administered effectively. When staff support the work of a Commission, committee or operational division, the General Secretary shall exercise oversight and supervision after consultation with the chair or executive director. The Acting General Secretary will exercise overall oversight of the financial and personnel practices of associated bodies and ensure the Council is in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Governance: The Acting General Secretary will ensure the implementation of the mission and vision of the Council, as determined by the Governing Board, and report to it regularly. They will report to the Executive Committee on the over-all progress and problems of the Council and provide to the Governing Board Spring Meeting an Annual Report. They will prepare dockets for meetings of the Assembly, the Governing Board and the Executive Committee.
- Programs: They will support existing relations with and among the member denominations by assisting the denominations to meet together as a forum for discussion and reflection, assisting the denominations in ecumenical presence and action, when requested, and raising up the gospel call to unity. They represent and promote the work and goals of the Council when invited to member churches and with the President, they will be the principal interpreter and spokesperson of the Council. They will ensure that information on Council’s activities and those of its members is readily available through the Council’s website and electronic media.
This is a nine month full time term position (35 hours/week). The position works from the Canadian Council of Churches office located in Toronto, Ontario under normal office working conditions. Attendance at occasional evening and weekend meetings may be required. Some travel within Canada is required.
We are anticipating that interviews will be held in July, 2017.
- Graduate level of theological education, or equivalent, and knowledge of church systems (polity) in Canada;
- A member in good standing of a CCC member denomination;
- Understanding of and commitment to the goals of ecumenism and The Canadian Council of Churches;
- Well-developed analytical, negotiation, consultative and listening skills.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written);
- Ability to articulate and animate the Council’s vision;
- Ability to lead and develop the staff team;
- Management and administrative skills and an ability to plan and coordinate staff, students and volunteers to fulfill the goals of the Council;
- Sensitivity to Canadian cultural issues and concerns.
- Available for limited travel;
- Proficiency in French and the ability to work effectively with the public media would be considered assets.
Salary will be based on skills and experience, within the annual salary range of $85,000 – $92,000 ($7,083 – $7,667 per month).
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume, quoting the job number to:
- A. Hall
Chair, Personnel Committee, Canadian Council of Churches
E-mail: apps6 [at] united-church [dot] ca