Children and Worship is a beautiful way to present biblical stories through worship with young children to help them meet as well as learn about God. It invites children and adults to experience the wonder and mystery of God through a unique storytelling format and multi-sensory materials The program was influenced by the philosophy of Maria Montessori and was developed by Sonja Stewart and Jerome Berryman. It is described in their book, Young Children and Worship. This form of Godly Play encourages faith formation, and has transformed Sunday School curriculum in churches of many denominations across North America and around the world. Children and Worship training is a cooperative ministry of The Presbyterian Church in Canada (the PCC), the Reformed Church in America (RCA), and the Christian Reformed Church in North American (CRC).
The PCC is pleased to provide training for both congregations who want to start a Children and Worship program and those wanting to grow their program. Basic Training is 14 hours and includes storytelling, lectures, discussions and practice. Participants will not only be equipped, but will find the time spiritually enriching. Introductory Workshops (1 ½ hours), and various Enrichment/Specialized Events (3-6 hours) are also available.
Upcoming Training Events
- Children and Worship Basic Training 2016
Program Coordinator for the PCC
Linda Shaw is the program coordinator of Children and Worship for the PCC. For more information or to arrange for an introductory workshop or training event, please email Linda Shaw at ianandlindashaw [at] gmail [dot] com or call (519) 428-5396.
- Valerie Walker, vjmwalker [at] gmail [dot] com, Halifax, NS
- Brian Davidson, bdavidso [at] nbnet [dot] nb [dot] ca, Moncton, NB
- Carolina Morales, ccmorales80 [at] gmail [dot] com (Spanish), Mississauga, ON
- Laura Alary, laura [dot] alary [at] rogers [dot] com, Scarborough, ON
- Linda Shaw, ianandlindashaw [at] gmail [dot] com, Simcoe, ON
- Nina Zwart, nina [dot] zwart [at] sympatico [dot] ca, London, ON
- Diane Tait-Katerberg, diane [dot] tait [at] katerberg [dot] ca, Surrey, BC
Children and Worship Resources
The following resources are available through the Resource Centre at 1-800-619-7301.
- Young Children and Worship, Sonja Stewart and Jerome Berryman, Knox Press
- Following Jesus: More About Children and Worship, by Sonja Stewart, Knox Press
- Helping Children Experience God: An Introduction to the Children Worship Program – DVD
These books are available from retail booksellers and sometimes the public library.
- I Wonder… More Bible Stories for Children and Worship, by Janet Schreuder
- Lift Up Your Hands (a signing video), produced by the PCC
- Godly Play, Jerome Berryman, Abingdon Press
- Teaching Godly Play: The Sunday Morning Handbook, J. Berryman, Abingdon Press
- Worship Songs for Children and Worship (Songbook), June Armstrong
- More Worship Songs for Children and Worship (Songbook, CD), J. Armstrong
- Make Room: A Child’s Guide to Lent and Easter, Laura Alary, published by Paraclete Press