And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
– Matthew 28:18-20
At the end of the Gospel of Matthew it is recorded that Jesus sent his followers into the world to make disciples, to baptize and to teach. As his disciples, we continue the mission to share the gift of the Good News, which announces the love, grace and mercy of God in Christ.
The Life and Mission Agency of The Presbyterian Church in Canada understands disciples to be followers of Jesus in words and deeds. Referencing the World Council of Churches document Together towards Life, evangelism is considered to be the responsibility of “all Christians, churches and congregations,” as we are all “called to be vibrant messengers of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is the good news of salvation” and that “evangelism is sharing one’s faith and conviction with other people, inviting them to discipleship whether or not they adhere to other religious traditions. Such sharing is to take place with both confidence and humility, and as an expression of our professed love for our world.”
- Evangelism Connections
- Resources on Growing a Hospitable Church
- Equipping for… Articles
- The Presbyterian Church in Canada is a denominational partner with Evangelism Connections, an ecumenical group of Christians who strive to frame evangelism, hospitality, and church vitality in a 21st century context and provide shared resources. Visit the Evangelism Connections website for articles, program ideas and worship resources.
- Unbinding the Gospel Series
- Community of the PCC Brochure, add your congregation’s name, address and contact information.
Helpful documents prepared by the World Council of Churches
- Together towards Life: Mission and Evangelism in Changing Landscapes
This document is the new 112-point WCC affirmation on mission and evangelism. A 30-page Practical Study Guide for individual, small group and congregational study is included along with this affirmation in a WCC paperback (with the same title) if you buy the resource from a local bookstore or online bookseller. The approximate cost is $25.00. The Practical Study Guide includes four sessions complete with Bible studies, prayers and ideas for reflection and action.
- PCC Study Guide for “Together towards Life: Mission and Evangelism in Changing Landscapes”
- The Church: Towards a Common Vision
- PCC Study Guide for “The Church: Towards a Common Vision”
- Christian Witness in a Multi-Religious World
For more information and assistance with evangelism, contact Canadian Ministries at 1-800-619-7301 or 416-441-1111 ext. 290.