During the National Healing and Reconciliation Gathering on September 15-17 in Pickering, Ont., participants discussed ways that members of The Presbyterian Church in Canada could get involved in reconciliation. The following are some of their ideas:
- Become a KAIROS Blanket Exercise facilitator
- Raise awareness and talk with elected officials about Bill C-262 and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Engage youth and young adults in conversations about reconciliation
- Participate in and plan local events to mark Treaty Day/Week (varies by treaty area), Orange Shirt Day (Sept. 30), Sisters in Spirit (Oct. 4), etc.
- Stay connected to other reconciliation leaders
- Presbytery or Synod level – groups could form to share updates and encouragement
- National level – Justice Ministries will host webinars to offer support on engaging with issues (i.e. the UN Declaration, Call to Action #59, etc.)
- Explore the possibility of future regional/national Reconciliation Gatherings
For more information about how you can engage in these acts of reconciliation, contact Carragh Erhardt (ext. 278).